CERB money that went to fraudsters will take years to recoup: Auditor general

Auditor general Karen Hogan says the federal government missed chances to flag fraudulent claims for emergency benefits last year.

She says officials will now have to rely on costly, years-long efforts to recoup wrongful payments.

Efforts will begin this spring for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy, and this fall for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

Read more:
Fraudulent CERB applications could land Canadians with $5K fine, jail time

Hogan’s two audits today each note how quickly the programs rolled out last March and April, eschewing the usual months-long policy-development process to quickly get aid to hard-hit businesses and workers.

The audits flag multiple moments when federal officials could have made changes to prevent the wage subsidy from going to companies with unpaid tax bills, or the CERB from potentially going to known fraudsters.

Story continues below advertisement

Hogan says the rollout of the wage subsidy in particular highlighted pre-existing weaknesses in federal systems and data that need to be addressed.


Click to play video: 'Coronavirus: CERB recipients deemed ineligible after messaging mix-up won’t be forced to repay'



3:36
Coronavirus: CERB recipients deemed ineligible after messaging mix-up won’t be forced to repay


Coronavirus: CERB recipients deemed ineligible after messaging mix-up won’t be forced to repay – Feb 9, 2021

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Latest articles

Related articles